Southampton boss Hasenhuttl ready to sell in Januaryby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl is ready to sell in January.With the January transfer window set to open next week, Hasenhuttl will have his first opportunity to make a mark on his squad.The 51-year-old, who remained tight lipped about possible departures, was unconcerned about upsetting first-team players.“It’s not about being happy, it’s about being successful. At the moment the only goal is to be successful,” he said.“I can’t take a view of the future of every player.“For me it’s important to build something up and to bring the squad back in a successful period.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Barcelona striker Munir agrees Sevilla moveby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSevilla are closing on a deal for Barcelona striker Munir El Haddadi.Cadena Cope says Munir, off contract in June, has a deal with Sevilla.Barcelona have tried to get him to sign on twice but both offers were rejected by the forward. The pre-agreement with Sevilla is the offer Munir is said to have chosen. He had others. Real Betis wanted him and a Premier League side offered him a lot of money too, but he did not want to go to England.A departure from Barca this month is now likely.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton lose Moussa Djenepo for Bournemouth clashby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton will be without live-wire Moussa Djenepo for their clash with rivals Bournemouth.The Mali international has scored two stunning goals for Saints this season following his switch from Standard Liege.”Nathan could train this week with the team. This is a good message how far he is and if he really can play tomorrow I haven’t decided so far but it’s good he’s back because Moussa is out. He cannot play,” said Hasenhuttl.”After a few sessions this week he felt a little bit more his muscles so we don’t want to take this risk so we leave him out tomorrow.”I don’t know if I can grab Nathan for the position. I haven’t decided so far.”
VCU lost its Second Round NCAA Tournament game against Ohio State Thursday afternoon, 75-72, in overtime.Those who bet on the Rams were victorious, though, as the Buckeyes were 3.5-point favorites. That betting victory came at the buzzer, as VCU’s Jonathan Williams made a meaningless layup as time expired that meant everything to the point spread. Check out the reaction at the Las Vegas SportsBook and Planet Hollywood when Williams made the layup. There were a lot of happy people in that room. VCU covers the spread & the crowd at @LVSuperBook Westgate Theater goes wild. #OhioState #VCUrams pic.twitter.com/zCcUVpWvnE— Tommy Lorenzo (@sportsbooktom) March 19, 2015Sometimes in #Vegas it’s not about who wins, it’s about by how much. Reaction to a last second layup, to lose by 3. pic.twitter.com/lDKgSlEbJZ— Planet Hollywood (@phvegas) March 19, 2015Perhaps VCU can take some solace in the fact that they covered the point spread. Ohio State is set to face Arizona on Saturday at 5:15 p.m. E.T. The game will be televised on CBS. (The Wildcats are favored by eight.)
ANN ARBOR, MI – NOVEMBER 4: The Michigan Marching Band performs during the NCAA football game between the Ball State Cardinals and the Michigan Wolverines on November 4, 2006 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Michigan won 34-26. (Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)ESPN’s College GameDay is in Ann Arbor this morning ahead of Michigan’s big rivalry game with Michigan State, but one fan wasn’t content to come up with a sign that just trolls the Spartans. No, he also had to include Ohio State too.In the below sign, shown on television Saturday morning, a Wolverines supporter pokes fun at both Ohio State’s schedule and Michigan State’s academics. Pretty clever.You can see more signs from GameDay here.
CALGARY — The National Energy Board says crude-by-rail exports from Canada rose to a record 269,829 barrels per day in September.That’s up more than 17 per cent from 229,544 in August and just over double the 134,132 barrels per day recorded in September 2017.Total crude exports reached 3.47 million bpd in September, up from 3.31 million a year earlier. Pipeline export constraints are being blamed for a glut of oil in Western Canada that caused the price discount to peak at more than US$50 per barrel in October for Western Canadian Select oilsands blend versus New York benchmark West Texas Intermediate.The province has called on Ottawa to help increase crude-by-rail shipments, estimating the discounts are costing the Canadian economy as much as $80 million per day.Meanwhile, oilsands producers such as Cenovus Energy Inc. and Imperial Oil Ltd. are ramping up crude-by-rail volumes to get barrels to markets where they will receive better prices.Cenovus has called on the province to impose production cuts to reduce the oil oversupply in Alberta but the suggestion has been panned by rivals who are insulated from discounts because they have firm pipeline contracts or use their oil in their own refineries. Companies in this story: (TSX:CVE, TSX:IMO)The Canadian Press
“We continue to work with Indigenous groups and women in trades to expand apprenticeship and employment opportunities,” said Sigurdson. “Under a Community Benefits Agreement, these initiatives will translate directly into apprenticeship completions, which, in turn, will allow B.C. residents to support their families, to invest in their communities, and to build the B.C. economy.”The Independent Contractors and Businesses Association meanwhile denounced the government’s announcement. ICBA President Chris Gardner held a press conference immediately following the Premier’s announcement.“For years, John Horgan has promised his political allies in the old-fashioned Building Trades unions that he would tilt the playing field in their favour. Today, it appears he will try and force that to happen through a restrictive and regressive PLA model for tendering government projects,” said Gardner. “Unfortunately for the taxpayers paying for provincial projects, this will mean much higher costs and it will give 15 percent of the construction workforce – the ones who gave millions of dollars to the NDP – a monopoly on work.” The Province says that the Agreement will implement a targeted approach to maximizing apprenticeship opportunities on major public infrastructure projects, with a focus on priority hiring and training of Indigenous workers and women.The government also says that priority hiring will be given to qualified individuals who live within close proximity of the projects, while contractors will be given flexibility by requesting named hires.The first projects to be delivered under the new community benefits framework are the new Pattullo Bridge and the four-laning projects on the Trans-Canada Highway between Kamloops and Alberta.“British Columbians deserve the opportunity to work on major government projects being built in and near their communities,” said Claire Trevena, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. “This Community Benefits Agreement will put local people first in line for good jobs building the roads, bridges and other infrastructure we need.”Signatories to the Community Benefits Agreement are BCIB, and the Allied Infrastructure and Related Construction Council, which represents many of B.C.’s building trades. The government also said that contractors representing B.C.’s construction industry played an important advisory role as the agreement was developed.The government’s announcement was received with praise from B.C. Building Trades Council executive director Tom Sigurdson, who spoke about the positives of Community Benefits Agreements during a keynote presentation to the Fort St. John & District Chamber of Commerce earlier this year. BURNABY, B.C. – B.C. Premier John Horgan announced today that the provincial government has launched a new Community Benefits Agreement landmark agreement for key public-sector infrastructure projects in B.C.At a press conference at BCIT’s Ironworkers Training Campus in Burnaby, Horgan also announced that the Province has launched BC Infrastructure Benefits Inc. – a new Crown Corporation that will oversee public construction projects in B.C. Transportation Minister Claire Trevena was named as the minister responsible for BCIB.“British Columbians rightfully expect B.C. projects to benefit B.C. workers, families and communities. Our new Community Benefits Agreement will help deliver those benefits,” said Premier John Horgan. “With this agreement, we’re not just investing in roads, bridges and other infrastructure, we’re investing in good jobs and new opportunities for people who live in B.C. And with our focus on expanding apprenticeships for young British Columbians, we’re helping build B.C.’s next generation of construction workers.”
Aurangabad: The popularity of the ‘Modi jacket’, a rage during the 2014 elections, is on the wane, with orders of the apparel recording a drastic fall, garments traders in Aurangabad district of Maharashtra said Tuesday. The ‘Modi jacket’ is a half-sleeve coat often worn by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. A local trader said there was a time when around 35 such jackets used to be sold from his outlet per day. Now the number is down to one per week, he added. Another city businessman Gurvinder Singh said factors like the GST, demonetisation and drought-like situation in the state have impacted the sale of these jackets, like all other apparels. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!Many traders in Gulmandi, Tilak Path, Aurangpura, Sarafa, Osmapura and Cidco areas here echo similar views. Cloth merchant Rajedra Bhawsar, who used to keep a stock of these jackets along with other readymade ethnic wear, says since since the last one year not more than 10 pieces were sold from his outlet. “I now face a problem as the unsold stock is more and I invested a big amount, but there is no profit,” he said. Local tailor Dilip Lokhande, popular as Haroon Master, says with summer just around the corner, people are now showing more interest in khadi, linen and cotton shirts.
Ah! The joy of sitting on the fence. No decisions to make, no commitments to have, just sit and watch the world go by. It is indeed very peaceful to be a fence-sitter. No bitter arguments, no high-pitched debates, just sit and listen. As we go deeper into the election season, my analysis is that fence-sitters form a sizeable vote-bank. These fence-sitters weren’t always fence-sitters. They, too, whole-heartedly supported one party or the other; they may have been ardent admirers of politicians, and may very well have loathed a few others. However, today they are fence-sitters mainly because they are a confused lot unable to make up their minds. Also Read – A special kind of bondSure, they voted for growth, development, ‘sabka vikas’, etc. in 2014. They rallied around that central figure of change, Narendra Modi, who promised with utmost sincerity to transform India. Most of us know that five years is too short for any kind of metamorphosis but it definitely sows the seeds that yield results in the years to come. But today those supporters are dumbfounded (I know because I have spent the last many weeks speaking to scores of BJP supporters who for the first time seem uncertain about their vote). In spite of the good that the current BJP government has achieved (yes, there are a few positives – India’s international brand-building, greater ease of doing business, low levels of corruption in governance, the intent behind Swacch Bharat Abhiyan etc.), this group of people is unnerved by the incidents of communal disharmony, lynchings, the assumption of the reins of India’s largest state, Uttar Pradesh, by a priest, India’s jobless growth etc. Also Read – Insider threat managementThe doubts that were forming gradually in the last couple of years have witnessed brisk growth in the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections. The promise to implement NRC nationwide, pledging to introduce stricter sedition laws, and the icing on the cake — giving an election ticket to Malegaon terror accused, Pragya Singh Thakur (Sadhvi Pragya), to contest from Bhopal. In fact, we must demand the Parliament and the Election Commission to rethink the decision to allow convicted criminals contesting elections in the first place. This group of voters has already become fence-sitters as they have no justification for their favoured party’s actions. A couple of years ago these very people would stop parties and gatherings to wax eloquent about how our ‘libtard’ spectacles were so Congress-hued that they wouldn’t accept a non-Gandhi leading the nation. They had so many defences for Prime Minister Modi and his government, and many of us, grudgingly also believed that irrespective of personal ideologies, Modi cared about this international persona so much that he dares not allow attacks on India’s tolerance and diversity. That garb of decency, every last bit of it was shredded to pieces with the party deciding to field Pragya. This so-called sannyasin has served nine years in jail, was released on bail citing health reasons and still faces several criminal charges, and has just badmouthed 26/11 hero Hemant Karkare! BJP cannot be so bereft of talent to be out recruiting ex-convicts! The party has had political leaders of distinction, erudite men and women that have been respected if not supported across political ideologies. The only plausible explanation is that this time since the party can’t truly boast of economic progress, it is polarising the elections by pushing hard-line Hindutva ahead of its development plank. What a sea-change from 2014! My request to all those fence-sitters (many of whom are thinking of pressing the NOTA button) is to weigh the pros and cons before voting. This group of BJP supporters who are sitting uncomfortably on the fence must decide not only for the nation but also for their own party. Is this the India you want where ‘vikas'(development) replaces ‘vinash’ (destruction)? There is enough criticism of Congress and its dynastic legacy and I know no one asks this question but — Dear BJP supporters…Is this the BJP you want? Perhaps it is time to get off that fence and let your leaders know your decision. (The writer is a journalist and media entrepreneur. The views expressed are strictly personal)
Senior forward Danny Jensen advances the ball down the field against a UC Santa Barbara defender. Credit: Ohio State AthleticsThe Ohio State men’s soccer team knew the stakes coming into Friday night. A loss meant the Buckeyes would start the season 0-5 and 0-1 in conference play.But when the lights were the brightest, coach John Bluem’s team finally shined.The Buckeyes were able to secure their first victory of the season on Friday night, as they beat the Northwestern Wildcats by a score of 1-0.The team had not gotten off to a good start, scoring just one goal through their first few games with an 0-4 record to back it up.With their first conference matchup against Northwestern looming, The Ohio State men’s soccer team knew that the time to start winning was right now.“The Big Ten Conference season gives you that new lift,” Bluem said. “Yeah we are off to a disappointing start but now conference games is a new chance, a new shot at it.” It looked like Ohio State would be in an unfavorable position in the early goings of the first period.In the 25th minute, Northwestern was able to put one into the back of the net off a corner kick. Their excitement would be short lived, however, as the Wildcats were called for being offside on the play, taking the goal off the board.The Buckeyes were eventually able to control tempo in the opening period, outshooting the Wildcats 9-1 with a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.In the 30th minute, sophomore midfielder Abdi Mohamed ripped a shot into the top left corner of the net, requiring a diving save by Northwestern goalkeeper Francisco Tomasino to keep the Buckeyes off the board.After a free kick by junior forward Marcus McCrary, junior defender Niall Logue stood alone with the ball on the right side of the box, but his strong shot flew just wide left of the far post.Ohio State continued their possession-dominating play right out of the gate after play resumed. Just four minutes into the second period, senior midfielder Ben Fitzpatrick was able to launch a shot off Tomasino and into the back right of the net for the Buckeyes first goal of the game and first goal at home this season.“I found a gap. Danny [Jensen] played a good ball to me,” said Fitzpatrick. “The keeper could not make the save so I got my first goal for the Buckeyes.”Fitzpatrick, who grew up in Hilliard, Ohio, is a transfer from Urbana University. Playing for Ohio State has always been a goal of his.“It’s surreal,” said Fitzpatrick. “Ever since I’ve been a little kid I’ve dreamed about playing for the Ohio State Buckeyes. Coming in and finishing my senior year here has been a really big thing for me.”Northwestern had numerous attempts to net the equalizer, registering seven shots in the second half.However, Fitzpatrick’s score would prove to be enough, however, as the game ended with the Buckeyes on top 1-0.The Buckeyes outshot the Wildcats 16-8 with a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks. They move to 1-0 in conference play.“Our attacking play certainly was better tonight than it has been in previous games. We created a lot more opportunities,” said Bluem. “Our defense was very resilient again and Parker Siegfried had a very, very good game in goal for us tonight. Glad he got a shutout.For Siegfried, it was his first career shutout. He made two saves in the game.Ohio State will look to make it two in a row when they take on Penn State at University Park on Tuesday at 7 p.m.