Sam Waters and Chad Reu-Waters The grim discovery three months ago of human remains in a freezer at the base of a bluff in Port Burwell took another shocking turn Monday when investigators charged a Haldimand County man with first-degree murder.Chad Reu-Waters, 45, is accused of killing Ashley Max Domenic Pereira, a 33-year-old Mississauga man who has been missing since 2002, Elgin County OPP said.Reu-Waters also is charged with committing an indignity to a dead body.Reu-Waters lives in Jarvis, about 20 kilometres east of Simcoe where he owns a bike and hobby shop. His son Sam Waters, 22, was charged May 9 after the remains were found with committing an indignity to a dead body, defined in the Criminal Code as improperly or indecently interfering with or or offering an indignity to a dead body or remains. Though Reu-Waters’ arrest and charges will likely comfort residents in the lakeside community 30 kilometres southeast of St. Thomas, the latest twist in the case raises more questions.Did Reu-Waters know Pereira, the man he’s accused of killing? How long do investigators believe the freezer containing Pereira’s remains was on the beach at Port Burwell before it was discovered by a local resident on May 6 at the end of Lakeshore Line, east of Stafford Road? Are other people being investigated in the case? A spokesperson for the OPP offered few answers Monday.Const. Adam Crewdson said he couldn’t elaborate on the relationship between Reu-Waters and Pereira.Asked if residents should expect more arrests, Crewdson said, “It’s still an active investigation.”He said there wasn’t a threat to public safety after the freezer was found, but didn’t elaborate.Police didn’t provide any information about Pereira, but online posts said he was born in Uganda and was last seen in Mississauga on March 6, 2002.“On the 17th anniversary of his disappearance, he is still missed and the mission to find him continues,” said a March 6 post by Missing the Missing.Elgin County Warden Duncan McPhail said Reu-Waters’ arrest will allay some fears in the community.“I think it goes bigger than the community. (The arrest) maybe puts society at more ease,” he said. “I’m glad that we’re on the way of having it resolved.”Port Burwell has been on edge since May 7, when OPP announced the investigation into the discovery of human remains and residents watched an OPP helicopter lift the freezer off the beach in a large net.Two days later, police announced that Samuel Waters had been charged in the case, putting him in the spotlight. Waters worked at South Coast Hobbies & Rides, his father’s shop, in Simcoe.Shop employees did not respond to an interview request submitted via Facebook Messenger Monday afternoon.A frequent customer who didn’t want to be identified described him as a “nice quiet kid” who enjoyed working with his father, rebuilding and selling old cars.After a brief stint in custody, Waters, who doesn’t have a criminal record, was released on $3,500 no-deposit bail. He is under a court order to stay out of Elgin County, specifically Port Burwell, except for court-related business.His case was last before court in St. Thomas on July 23, when neither Waters nor a lawyer appeared. A paralegal asked that the case be put over until Aug. 20.Some residents in Jarvis, home to about 1,000 people where Waters and his father live, told a reporter they didn’t want to talk after Waters was charged.“This neighbourhood is very, very tight,” said Charmaine Ruckpaul, a 17-year resident, said. “It’s a great neighbourhood.”with files from Laura BroadleyRelated Routine court proceeding reveals nothing in case of body in freezer near Port Burwell Police lift body, refrigerator from beach near Port Burwell Crown agrees to bail for accused in Port Burwell area body-and-fridge case A body. A discarded fridge. A beach town on edge as tourist season looms Man charged with ‘indignity’ to Port Burwell body, but OPP still say little Criminologist slams OPP for ‘retrograde’ handling of death probe Who is Sam Waters, the man charged in Port Burwell fridge-body probe?
Thiess has been awarded a A$225 million contract with BHP Nickel West to provide mining services at the Rocky’s Reward nickel mine in Western Australia.The 34-month contract incorporates a further cutback at the Rocky’s Reward pit and works at a satellite pit. The mining services include mine planning and engineering, drilling and blasting, mining of overburden and ore, and rehandling services to the Leinster processing facility.CIMIC Group Chief Executive Officer Michael Wright said: “This award continues our strong working relationship with BHP Nickel West. We’re pleased to continue our support at Rocky’s Reward, delivering value through our mining expertise and our experience in planning and scheduling mining around existing underground workings.”CIMIC Group Executive Mining and Mineral Processing and Thiess Managing Director Douglas Thompson said: “This contract recognises our ability to bring the right equipment, people and expertise to projects. We look forward to building on our experience at Rocky’s Reward where we delivered strongly in production and safety. We also look forward to continuing to provide opportunities for local jobs and suppliers.”A member of the BHP Billiton group, Nickel West is a fully integrated nickel business comprising the Mt Keith, Cliffs and Leinster mines, the Kalgoorlie smelter, the Kambalda concentrator and the Kwinana refinery.Rocky’s Reward is located at Leinster, 400 kilometres north of Kalgoorlie.