Atheist soldier feared for life

first_imgSpc. Jeremy Hall and the Military Religious Freedom Foundation filed a lawsuit this past week against a Maj. Paul Welborne and Defense Secretary Robert Gates. The suit, in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Kan., alleges that Welborne threatened to file military charges against Hall and to block his re-enlistment for trying to hold a meeting of atheists and non-Christians in Iraq. Hall is in Iraq with the 97th Military Police Battalion out of Fort Riley. He has been in Iraq since 2006, on his second tour. The suit also alleges Gates permits a military culture in which officers are encouraged to pressure soldiers to adopt and espouse fundamentalist Christian beliefs. In a series of e-mails to Mikey Weinstein, the foundation’s founder and president, Hall said he feared for his safety after being “hallchecked” – being shoved against a wall in a hallway – by fellow soldiers who objected to his lawsuit. Bloggers have also referred to “fragging” Hall, or killing him by friendly fire. “I hope I am not the victim of a hate crime while I sleep tonight. I do not want to die for my country this way,” wrote Hall, saying a noncommissioned officer was threatening to beat him. “I’m doing my best right now. But I am still afraid that I might be harmed or worse.” The Army is investigating Hall’s allegations, said Lt. Col. James Hutton, a spokesman for multinational forces in Iraq, in a statement Saturday. However, Hutton added: “Several media reports list a person named Maj. Paul Welborne as having been involved in this situation. To date, we have not located any soldier by that name.” Weinstein said the incidents alleged in the lawsuit happened in July and August and Welborne may have left Iraq since then. Instead of finding the major, Weinstein said the military must find the soldiers who threatened Hall after he filed the lawsuit and prosecute them under military law. “We’re talking about stuff that happened 36 hours ago. If they can’t find the people who have been harassing Jeremy, we will,” said Weinstein, who released Hall’s e-mails to The Associated Press on Friday. “This isn’t that hard to do.” In naming Gates as a defendant, the lawsuit alleges he permits a culture that sanctions activities by Christian organizations, including providing personnel and equipment. It also says the military permits proselytizing by soldiers, tolerates anti-Semitism and the placing of religious symbols on military equipment, and allows the use of military e-mail accounts to send religious rhetoric. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! HARASSMENT: “I hope I am not the victim of a hate crime,” a specialist who is suing wrote. By John Milburn THE ASSOCIATED PRESS TOPEKA, Kan. – Military officials are investigating an Army specialist’s allegations that he was harassed for being an atheist but said Saturday they have found no trace of the officer listed as a defendant in the soldier’s lawsuit. last_img read more

Get a free online personal stylist courtesy of Thread.com

first_imgHate shopping but still want to look good on that night out? Feel completely clueless about clothes?The solution is Thread.com.Thread.com is an exclusive, invite-only service for men, which gives you a completely free personal shopper or professional stylist.Our stylists have written for GQ & Vogue, and worked with celebrities including Daniel Craig, Jude Law and Kanye West.We’ve teamed up with West London Sport to give one lucky reader the chance to get a free online personal stylist, valued at £150.To be in with a chance of winning, just answer this question:Who scored the only goal when QPR won at Chelsea last season?E-mail the correct answer to win@westlondonsport.comThe competition is open until 5pm on Friday 16 August.last_img

DaVinci Resolve’s Boring Detector — Offensive or Misunderstood?

first_imgLet’s discuss the usefulness of the Boring Detector for the up-and-coming editor — as well as how and why it is sometimes ineffective.Earlier this year, during one of Blackmagic’s many exciting announcements (there have been a few), we learned about a new DaVinci Resolve feature called the Boring Detector. Of course, and I guess somewhat warranted because of the name of the tool, there was an initial social media backlash to the announcement. Art is subjective and, outside of distinct edit points and shots, filmed purposely to cut to a reaction. Who’s to say that a shot is too long? Especially when that criticism is coming from a software algorithm. Popular editor Vashi Nedomansky, ACE, who often shares invaluable editing advice (and also runs a blog that offers a variety of excellent Premiere Pro downloads), had a popular reaction to the summer announcement.A humorous example of the Boring Detector’s ineffectiveness.Understandably, I can see why editors were a little enraged. However, I also think the Boring Detector shouldn’t be an issue at all. Resolve isn’t forcing anybody to use the Boring Detector tool, and the tool is only on the cut page. While DaVinci initially presented the page as a way for editors on-the-go to edit quickly, I see it has been adopted more by new users to the platform, or those new to editing in general and find the dedicated editing page too much of a jump into the deep end. Therefore, I don’t see this tool as something editors will use for determining where their film drops off in audience retention. I see it as a tool to help those without proficiency in editing.So, What Does the Detector Do, and How Can You Use It?This is what the Boring Detector would potentially look like.At its core, the Boring Detector will analyze your clips on the timeline (Cut Page only) and inform you of areas that are either too long or too short. So, it’s not necessarily telling you that this particular moment is boring but, instead, that it’s too longspun. And here’s the thing: this is entirely user-defined.On the Cut Page, you can find the Boring Detector button just under the media pool. Upon clicking it, you’ll see two options.To find edits longer than [user defined] seconds.To find edits shorter than [user defined] frames.The analysis is based on the user’s input. It has little to do with the software scanning through your edit to find shots and moments that it thinks is boring. The clips that have been deemed too long will show on the upper timeline as a grey highlight (red for the jump cuts).The subtle gray highlight in the timeline suggests that these clips are too long.Quite simply, that’s all the Boring Detector is. I find it inherently hard to briefly cover a feature or new gear, and often see myself waddling into a word count in the thousands, which really should have been a quick read, but there’s not a lot to say about this function. Resolve will tell you if a shot is too long or too short based on the user’s definition.To some extent, I like to look at it as a formatting assistant, similar to what you find in Final Draft’s scriptwriting software. Now, I have no intention of ever using this feature, and in fact, I’ve hidden the Cut Page from my display, as it’s a Resolve page I have no use for. That said, I can see the benefit of its use for those who are completely new to editing and would like a little help getting started. Perhaps someone new to filmmaking has read in a book that a cut should last no longer than fifteen seconds. Using that information, they can ask Resolve to highlight and receive an on-the-fly analysis of the shots that trail on longer than desired.I think that the icon and the name of the function are too on-the-nose, which obviously sparked the initial negative discourse. But then again, “Shot Length Analyzer” isn’t as engaging.Looking for more on DaVinci Resolve? Check out these articles.Glowing Results: Grading Skin Tones in DaVinci ResolveWorking with Super Slow Motion in DaVinci ResolveHow to Make an Object Disappear Using DaVinci ResolveNLE Showdown: DaVinci Resolve vs. Adobe Premiere Pro — Text EffectsHarnessing The Power of Facial Refinement in DaVinci Resolvelast_img read more

Hot-shooting San Beda humbles Mapua for 6th win

first_imgMOST READ ‘Pamana’: Mausoleum caretaker cherishes humble work for family PLAY LIST 03:06‘Pamana’: Mausoleum caretaker cherishes humble work for family02:12San Beda, Lyceum early favorites ahead of NCAA Season 9303:122 dead in California school attack; gunman shoots self01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games K-pop star Jung Joon-young convicted of gang rape, spycam crimes LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Next SAN BEDA 66 – Tankoua 11, Mocon 10, Potts 8, Bolick 6, Soberano 6, Cabanag 5, Carino 4, Bahio 4, Doliguez 3, Adamos 3, Tongco 2, Presbitero 2, Oftana 2, Abuda 0.MAPUA 55 – Bunag 20, Orquina 11, Magboo 10, Nieles 6, Victoria 4, Aguirre 2, Gabo 2, Jimenez 0, Raflores 0.Quarters: 23-6, 31-20, 51-32, 66-55. UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension View comments Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Mapua still tried to recover and cut the deficit to just nine, 64-55, after a Kim Magboo bucket with 1:12 to play, but Robert Bolick’s free throws doused that rally as San Beda cruised to its fifth straight victory.Donald Tankoua made a living in the paint for the Red Lions, grabbing 11 points and 16 rebounds for his best game to date.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutJavee Mocon got 10 markers and six boards, Davon Potts had eight points and three rebounds, and Bolick collected six markers, eight boards, and four dimes in the balanced attack for San Beda.Despite the comfortable triumph, coach Boyet Fernandez chided his wards for what he felt was a lackluster showing in the payoff period.center_img SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games San Beda’s Davon Potts and Donald Tankoua celebrate. Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSan Beda stepped on the gas pedal early and blew Mapua out, 66-55, to nab its sixth win in the NCAA Season 93 men’s basketball tournament Friday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.Coming off a week-long break, the Red Lions imposed their will early and raced to a 23-6 charge in the first period, pulling away from the Cardinals and grabbing a lead as high as 25, 49-24 late in the third quarter.ADVERTISEMENT For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. “If we played the way we played in the fourth quarter, I think we’ll have a hard time against them. We played bad in the fourth quarter,” he said. “I just have to let the other guys realize that we can’t let those things happen. I hope my players realize that.”The Cardinals missed the services of Andoy Estrella, who is nursing an MCL injury.In his absence, Christian Bunag stepped up for the skidding Mapua (1-6) with 20 points and 18 rebounds in the team’s fifth consecutive defeat.Almel Orquina got 11 markers and four boards, while Magboo had 10 points and four rebounds.The Scores:ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NBA: Analyst Charles Barkley says it’s ‘stupid’ that Kyrie Irving wants to leave Cavs WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesseslast_img read more

Facebook shares progress on civil rights audit We need to do more

first_img 2 Tech Industry Digital Media Politics Internet Services Tags Comments Facebook Facebook has released a progress report on its civil rights audit, which shows it’s made some significant changes like strengthening efforts to fight voter suppression and cracking down on fake accounts seeking to influence political views.The social network unveiled on Tuesday the results of the first six months of the audit (PDF), which it launched in May in response to demands from civil rights organizations. Laura Murphy, a civil liberties leader and longtime ACLU director, led the audit. After meeting with civil rights leaders and experts, Murphy said in the progress report, Facebook decided to focus the first phase of its audit on preventing voter intimidation and suppression ahead of the US 2018 midterm elections.The social network acknowledged that implementation took longer than expected but said it was able to make important changes on its platform including strengthening efforts against voter suppression; supporting voter engagement; bringing in voting experts to inform training and policy; adding ways for users to report incorrect voting information; creating channels for state election authorities to report potential voter suppression content; and tackling fake accounts. Facebook also highlighted its “war room” efforts to combat fake election news leading up to the midterms. “Facebook is committed to working with leading US civil rights organizations to strengthen and advance civil rights on our service. They’ve raised a number of important concerns, and I’m grateful for their candor and guidance,” Sheryl Sandberg, chief operating officer of Facebook, said in a blog post. “We know that we need to do more: to listen, look deeper and take action to respect fundamental rights.” The social media giant plans to continue the audit in 2019, focusing on content moderation and creating a “civil rights accountability infrastructure” to make sure Facebook stays on the right track. Facebook will release another progress report on the audit next year, Murphy said. Share your voice Facebooklast_img read more