Pune: The Ahmednagar police on Monday arrested Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Shivaji Kardile in connection with the murders of Shiv Sena leaders Sanjay Kotkar and Vasant Thube on Saturday.However, Mr. Kardile, MLA from Ahmednagar’s Rahuri constituency, denied his arrest and said he “voluntarily gave himself up” at the Bhingar police station this morning.A press note issued by the Ahmednagar police on Sunday had declared that the BJP MLA, along with 53 others connected to the crime and vandalism at the Ahmednagar Superintendent of Police’s office, was absconding.On Sunday, the police booked Mr. Kardile, along with NCP MLC Arun Jagtap (Sangram Jagtap’s father) and 30 others for allegedly hatching a conspiracy and executing the killings. ‘Allegations false’The BJP MLA refuted all allegations against him. “The police are investigating the crime and the culprits will be brought to justice. I have no relation with it. Since Saturday, the opposition [read Shiv Sena] is besmirching some members of my family and me by linking our names with the murders. Seeing this, I voluntary decided to appear before the police and cooperate with the probe,” Mr. Kardile told a local television channel.The second high-profile arrest in the case comes a day after Mr. Kardile’s son-in-law, National Congress Party (NCP) legislator Sangram Jagtap, and four others were taken into police custody in connection with the murders.Mr. Jagtap was taken into police custody in the wee hours of Sunday. Congress candidate Vishal Kotkar, who won the Kedgaon bypoll to the Ahmednagar civic body; his father Balasaheb Kotkar; Sandeep Gunjal and Bhanudas Kotkar were also booked for their alleged roles in the double murder.Soon after Mr. Jagtap was arrested, Mr. Kardile, along with a mob of over 200 persons allegedly vandalised the office of the Superintendent of Police, Ahmednagar. However, Mr. Kardile denied allegations, stating that events had been “misinterpreted”. “After Sangram [Jagtap] was arrested, a mob had gathered at the SP’s office. I was returning from a function and decided to stop en route and pacify the mob. I urged the crowd to show restraint,” he said, adding he was ready to face any inquiry. The aftermath of the Kedgaon bypoll coupled with years of political rivalry are said to be the broad reasons for the murders of the two Sena leaders, who were first shot at and then attacked with sharp weapons.The murders have led to the suspension of police inspector Abhay Parmar of Ahmednagar’s Kotwali police station Minister of State for Home, Deepak Kesarkar. He has been replaced by PI Ramesh Ratnaparkhi.Mr. Parmar’s suspension was prompted by Shiv Sena’s allegations about the allegedly controversial role of the police authorities in Kedgaon in the crime.All three families — the Kardiles, the Jagtaps and the Kotkars — are related to each other by marriage and virtually dominate Ahmednagar politics, especially at the taluka and civic body levels.Both Mr. Kardile and Congress leader Bhanudas Kotkar have a history of crime, their names figuring prominently in the murder of lottery-ticket businessman Ashok Lande in 2008. The incident has snowballed into a political slug-fest, with the Sena and the NCP trading charges.On Sunday, senior Shiv Sena leader and Minister Ramdas Kadam, alleged that the murders were “a premeditated conspiracy by the BJP, Congress and NCP”. Senior NCP leader Ajit Pawar, retaliated by accusing the Sena of attempting to tarnish his party’s reputation by fabricating charges.
MOST READ ‘Pamana’: Mausoleum caretaker cherishes humble work for family PLAY LIST 03:06‘Pamana’: Mausoleum caretaker cherishes humble work for family02:12San Beda, Lyceum early favorites ahead of NCAA Season 9303:122 dead in California school attack; gunman shoots self01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games K-pop star Jung Joon-young convicted of gang rape, spycam crimes LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Next SAN BEDA 66 – Tankoua 11, Mocon 10, Potts 8, Bolick 6, Soberano 6, Cabanag 5, Carino 4, Bahio 4, Doliguez 3, Adamos 3, Tongco 2, Presbitero 2, Oftana 2, Abuda 0.MAPUA 55 – Bunag 20, Orquina 11, Magboo 10, Nieles 6, Victoria 4, Aguirre 2, Gabo 2, Jimenez 0, Raflores 0.Quarters: 23-6, 31-20, 51-32, 66-55. UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension View comments Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Mapua still tried to recover and cut the deficit to just nine, 64-55, after a Kim Magboo bucket with 1:12 to play, but Robert Bolick’s free throws doused that rally as San Beda cruised to its fifth straight victory.Donald Tankoua made a living in the paint for the Red Lions, grabbing 11 points and 16 rebounds for his best game to date.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutJavee Mocon got 10 markers and six boards, Davon Potts had eight points and three rebounds, and Bolick collected six markers, eight boards, and four dimes in the balanced attack for San Beda.Despite the comfortable triumph, coach Boyet Fernandez chided his wards for what he felt was a lackluster showing in the payoff period. SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games San Beda’s Davon Potts and Donald Tankoua celebrate. Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSan Beda stepped on the gas pedal early and blew Mapua out, 66-55, to nab its sixth win in the NCAA Season 93 men’s basketball tournament Friday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.Coming off a week-long break, the Red Lions imposed their will early and raced to a 23-6 charge in the first period, pulling away from the Cardinals and grabbing a lead as high as 25, 49-24 late in the third quarter.ADVERTISEMENT For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. “If we played the way we played in the fourth quarter, I think we’ll have a hard time against them. We played bad in the fourth quarter,” he said. “I just have to let the other guys realize that we can’t let those things happen. I hope my players realize that.”The Cardinals missed the services of Andoy Estrella, who is nursing an MCL injury.In his absence, Christian Bunag stepped up for the skidding Mapua (1-6) with 20 points and 18 rebounds in the team’s fifth consecutive defeat.Almel Orquina got 11 markers and four boards, while Magboo had 10 points and four rebounds.The Scores:ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NBA: Analyst Charles Barkley says it’s ‘stupid’ that Kyrie Irving wants to leave Cavs WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses
UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension The win sees Mayweather, who had come out of a two-year retirement to face McGregor, surpass heavyweight legend Rocky Marciano with a perfect record of 50-0.Afterwards former welterweight king Mayweather insisted he would never be seen in a ring again.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“This was my last fight tonight. For sure,” Mayweather said, praising his beaten opponent.“Tonight was my last fight. Tonight I chose the right dance partner to dance with. Floyd Mayweather insisted he would head into a permanent retirement after sealing his place in boxing history with a 50th straight win against Conor McGregor on Saturday.The 40-year-old American star outclassed McGregor over 10 absorbing rounds at the T-Mobile Arena to defeat Irish mixed martial arts star McGregor by technical knockout.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Read Next Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “We know in MMA he fights for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, he started to slow down. I guaranteed to everybody that this wouldn’t go the distance.” I’m finished says Mayweather after McGregor rout4K viewsSportsVentuno Web Player 4.51 Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather: Let him enjoy retirement PLAY LIST 00:44Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather: Let him enjoy retirement01:49Pacquiao to Mayweather: Want fans to stop asking for rematch? Then fight me again00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Alyssa Valdez calls for unity in Philippine volleyball “Conor you are a hell of a champion.”Floyd Mayweather Jr. watches replays after defeating Conor McGregor in a super welterweight boxing match Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Isaac Brekken)Mayweather also rejected suggestions that his 50th victory — against an opponent who had never boxed professionally before — would be destined to have an asterisk against it.“A win is a win, no matter how you get it,” Mayweather said. “Rocky Marciano is a legend and I look forward to going into the Hall of Fame one day.”Mayweather meanwhile revealed the fight had followed a tactical plan as he took his time and allowed McGregor to become fatigued before pouncing in the later rounds.“Our game plan was to take our time, go to him, let him shoot his shots early and then take him out down the stretch,” Mayweather said.ADVERTISEMENT WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC View comments
The turning point in the South Africa vs West Indies World Cup match that was played at the Ferozeshah Kotla in New Delhi on Thursday has to be the third wicket stand between South Africa skipper Graeme Smith and AB de Villiers.The two put on 119 runs for the third wicket after the West Indies bowler struck early removing Hashim Amla (14) and Jacques Kallis (4). From 20-2 they pushed the score to 139-3 and eventually helped the team win by seven wickets.Man-of-the-Match AB de Villiers went on to score a century remaining unbeaten on 107 and even earned a MoM award for his efforts.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd hero O’Shea says Solskjaer the right man in chargeby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Manchester United defender John O’Shea says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is the right man in charge.United have lost two of their opening six Premier League matches and are now preparing for the visit of Arsenal on Monday. “The club has spoken recently about sticking behind Ole and having a plan in place,” O’Shea told Sky Sports.”It’s going to take time but Ole and the staff will know that they are going to need to get results along the way. They cannot let performances drop too low. They have to maintain standards.”Everyone at the club has to look in the mirror and ask whether they are doing the best for the players and the coaching staff.”It’s a work in progress. The success is not there on the pitch at the moment so people are naturally looking more at the off-the-field issues. The people in power must want the best for the club and it will hurt them looking across the city at what other teams close by are doing.”They need to have trust in the people they have put in place. It can turn around quite quickly if you get things right in the transfer windows.”
Man Utd blocked Mourinho from signing Boateng for bargain priceby Ansser Sadiq8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United did not allow then boss Jose Mourinho to sign Jerome Boateng from Bayern Munich.Mourinho was desperate for an experienced centre-half in what would end up being his final summer window at the club.Boateng was among the names discussed near the end of that transfer window, but United blocked any deal.The Athletic reveals that United looked at software that assessed Boateng’s game and showed a decline in performances, along with significant injury problems.It meant that a possible £13.1 million transfer was axed.The data showed that Boateng was not fit enough to perform at his best level for the full 90 minutes, as he was making fewer tackles and running significantly less in the latter parts of games. TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
Twitter/@georgetownhoyasGeorgetown looked to the Hoya fan base for a new basketball court design, and 150 submissions later, they have chosen a winner. Submitted by former Georgetown swimming & diving team member Kevin Rieffel, here is the court that the Hoyas will be playing on at the Verizon Center this season.Here is the winner of the @GeorgetownHoops Court Design Contest! Design by @KRieffel! Release: http://t.co/YYCmsIKfx6 pic.twitter.com/1B4PRu53hw— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 2015 The design isn’t overly adventurous, but most notably features a kente cloth pattern in the lanes, similar to the design used on Georgetown’s jerseys during the Allen Iverson era in the 1990s. Some of the runners-up were a bit more bold.Hoyas Court Design Contest: ‘Most Washington DC Pride’ Winners: Trey Lord and Perry Cao. #HoyasCourt pic.twitter.com/OVLgS88RzW— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 2015Hoyas Court Design Contest: ‘Best Hand-Drawn’ Winner: Jake Foote #HoyasCourt pic.twitter.com/pRM4npTrWv— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 2015Hoyas Court Design Contest: ‘Best use of Georgetown’s Campus’ Winners: Erin Rudy, Norma Perez, Seth Berger #HoyaSaxa pic.twitter.com/RDQseLvwhI— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 2015Hoyas Court Design Contest: ‘Best Pop Culture Reference’ Winner: Scott Greenwood. #HoyasCourt pic.twitter.com/oRxalYGgPY— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 2015Hoyas Court Design Contest: ‘Most Likely to Scare Opposing Players’ Winner: Leo Ariemma #HoyasCourt pic.twitter.com/WJfmmUzXxk— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 2015Hoyas Court Design Contest: ‘Best in Representing @GeorgetownHoops History’ Winners: Anthony Calabro & Leo Ariemma. pic.twitter.com/fGGoFI5Br4— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 2015Hoyas Court Design Contest: ‘Most out-of-the-box design’ Winners: Jimmy Donofrio and Dan Kane. #HoyasCourt pic.twitter.com/p5tfst16DJ— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 201Hoyas Court Design Contest: Runner-Up Selections: Alexis Dever, Derek Howard, Brian McCrodden. #HoyasCourt pic.twitter.com/jkfIMaCiJ1— Georgetown Hoyas (@georgetownhoyas) June 9, 2015 What do you think of the new floor, Hoya fans?
ANN ARBOR, MI – NOVEMBER 4: The Michigan Marching Band performs during the NCAA football game between the Ball State Cardinals and the Michigan Wolverines on November 4, 2006 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Michigan won 34-26. (Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)ESPN’s College GameDay is in Ann Arbor this morning ahead of Michigan’s big rivalry game with Michigan State, but one fan wasn’t content to come up with a sign that just trolls the Spartans. No, he also had to include Ohio State too.In the below sign, shown on television Saturday morning, a Wolverines supporter pokes fun at both Ohio State’s schedule and Michigan State’s academics. Pretty clever.You can see more signs from GameDay here.
Story Highlights Residents of Grants Pen, St. Andrew, are the latest beneficiaries of the Legal Aid Council’s Mobile Justice Unit.The Unit was at the Grants Pen Peace Park on Wednesday (February 28) dispensing free legal information on the expungement of criminal records, wills, land titles, criminal matters, and child custody and maintenance, among other issues.The services are part of phase three of the Citizen Security and Justice Programme (CSJP II), targeting 50 communities.The CSJP is a multifaceted and multi-stakeholder crime- and violence-prevention initiative, focused on building community safety and security.It is administered by the Ministry of National Security and jointly funded by the Government of Jamaica; Inter-American Development Bank; United Kingdom Department for InternationalDevelopment; and Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.Attorney-at-law, Shara-Kay Dacres, who is a legal consultant with the Unit, told JIS News that residents were grateful for the services provided, noting that most of them sought advice on land-related matters.“The persons we have seen are very interested in the services. Most of them were not aware that the services of the bus even existed. So they are very interested to know when we will be back in the community, because they have other friends and persons who they know would benefit from the services as well. They are grateful for the advice because a lot of them have issues that they didn’t know how to (address),” she explained.Against this background, Ms. Dacres said the Council is looking to revisit the community and bring back the Unit later in the year.Grants Pen resident, Orette Perkins, who enquired about land-related matters, said the information he received was very detailed.“I am doing something over my yard that’s pertaining to land – paying tax and such – and so I came and got some vital information,” he told JIS News.Another resident, Rochelle Gilzene, said she was very appreciative of the legal advice she received.“I came to check and confirm some information on a legal matter, and I found the information very helpful and informative. The representative was very friendly and courteous and she advised me accordingly… so I am satisfied,” she said.Ms. Gilzene said initiatives such as these are critical to the community.“We have a lot of persons who need this kind of help… to help to sort out certain personal and legal matters, which would be beneficial to persons individually and the community on a whole,” she said.The provision of services through the Mobile Justice Unit is in keeping with the Justice Ministry’s thrust to improve access to justice for everyone, particularly persons in rural and inner-city communities.It is also consistent with the Government’s 2017/18 policy priority regarding the rule of law and timely justice outcomes. Residents of Grants Pen, St. Andrew, are the latest beneficiaries of the Legal Aid Council’s Mobile Justice Unit. The services are part of phase three of the Citizen Security and Justice Programme (CSJP II), targeting 50 communities. It is administered by the Ministry of National Security and jointly funded by the Government of Jamaica; Inter-American Development Bank; United Kingdom Department for InternationalDevelopment; and Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.