Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Manipur on January 4, security measures have been beefed up on an unprecedented scale. The police and paramilitary forces, including Assam Rifles, are conducting pre-dawn cordon-and-search operations at several places. During a search on Saturday evening, insurgent leader Anand Laishram, 21, of Chajing Karam near Imphal was arrested by the joint forces. Election ploy: Cong.Mr. Modi is likely to announce a slew of developmental projects during his visit lasting a few hours. However, Congress MLA N. Loken said: “It is too late. Mr. Modi and other BJP leaders may announce some projects involving huge amounts. This is mere election ploy. Because no construction work can be taken up in view of the forthcoming Lok Sabha election.”Police sources said the search operations would continue. Identification papers of all youngsters are being verified.The police said the arrested insurgent leader, Anand Laishram, took part in the June 4, 2015 ambush against soldiers at Paraolen in Chandel district, in which 18 Army men were killed on the spot and 11 others were seriously injured. Authorities had announced a reward ₹2 lakh for information leading to his arrest, the police said.
Actor-turned politician Sunny Deol escaped unhurt after his vehicle was involved in a collision with three cars on Monday, police said.The mishap occurred after one of the tyres in Deol’s sports utility vehicle burst near a ‘Gurdwara’ in Sohal village, Gurdaspur Deputy Superintendent of Police (rural) Manjit Singh told PTI. A total of four vehicles collided with each other in the accident. Mr. Deol’s cavalcade was going towards Fatehgarh Churian where the BJP candidate had to campaign, the DSP said.“Out of four, one vehicle belonged to a villager, rest other vehicles were part of Mr. Deol’s cavalcade,” he said. Nobody was hurt in the accident, he added.After the accident, Mr. Deol resumed his journey to Fatehgarh Churian for poll campaigning, the DSP said. Mr. Deol is pitted against Congress candidate and sitting MP Sunil Jakhar from Gurdaspur Lok Sabha seat.
Indian medium-pacer Praveen Kumar has been ruled out of the World Cup starting on February 19 in Dhaka due to an elbow injury.Praveen Kumar checks out his elbow as Sachin Tendulkar looks on. APPraveen had hurt his elbow during a practice session ahead of the ODI series in South Africa and has not completely recovered from it.The medium-pacer was reportedly flown to London for a check-up last week, where he underwent an examination at the King Edward VII Hospital and was advised rest.He is currently undergoing rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore.Despite knowing that Kumar was carrying an injury ever since his tour of South Africa, the selectors picked him in the 15-member squad without a fitness test. Key players Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir had also missed the ODI series against South Africa after being injured and Sachin Tendulkar was flown back mid-way during the series due to a hamstring injury. However, they are expected to be fully fit by the time the Indian camp starts in Bangalore on February 9.Ishant Sharma or S. Sreesanth may replace Kumar in the squad.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppWith a giant stress ball to capture attention, the Jamaica Tourist Board was doing big things in Times Square New York to draw the attention of who are likely some of the most stressed out people on the planet…big and yellow and rolling out was that stress ball and it did the job to launch the new advertising campaign of the Caribbean destination. No longer playing on Bob Marley’s One Love phrase… the JTB has moved on to giving advice… that advice, still from Bob’s song… get all right. New TV commercials are already being seen on big name networks like CNN. Related Items:
Readers could also register to win products featured in the Beauty Awards as well as a sweepstakes to win a $1,000 Sephora gift card. Advertisers Respond, Ad Pages up 22.5 PercentThere are a total of 17 tags in the issue–13 videos and four slideshows. Of the 13 videos, seven were tied directly to winning brands in the Beauty Awards. “We don’t pick the winning brands by advertisers, it happens independent of that,” says Watt. “Seven of the videos were tied to actual winners and we did go to those brands’ agencies and ask if they wanted to be part of this.” Of those seven brands, five (Rusk, Sally Hansen, Olay, Schick and Aveeno) decided to come into the issue. Sally Hansen, Schick and Rusk were all new advertisers. Health asked for an incremental magazine ad rather than selling directly against the digital component. Ad pages in the May 2011 issue are up 22.5 percent over May 2010. The magazine is planning to repeat the program in October for its Food Awards. Health magazine’s May issue features Microsoft Tag technology as part of an effort to drive readers to bonus content online. The program requires readers to download the free Microsoft Tag app, which allows the reader to scan the issue via smartphone to see bonus video and slideshows related to the issue. The feature went live on April 19 and in the last six days the magazine has generated 5,000 downloads with many subscriber issues yet to be delivered, according to publisher Dave Watt. The Microsoft Tag program is packaged with the Health Beauty Awards, which recognize best buys among beauty products. “Microsoft presented this to us and we thought it was a really cool thing but we had to have the right idea,” says Watt. “We thought, what if we use the tags to bring the awards to life? We’d have judges appear in video to talk about the products, why they picked them and offer tips to readers such as the best way to apply eye shadow. We didn’t want editors just saying, ‘I picked Olay because of x.’ That’s not adding value, that’s just parroting what was in the magazine.”While Microsoft Tags are free to create, Health hired an outside company to shoot the videos and a mobile vendor to create connections with the tags and mobile phones. “You have to have those videos mobile-enabled to be properly viewable on smartphones,” says Health director of integrated marketing Zovig Garboushian. The video features bonus content beyond the beauty awards, including a behind-the-scenes look at the cover shoot with singer Miranda Lambert, yoga moves and spring style tips. “When Microsoft met with us, they said, ‘To make this work, you’ve got to have it integrated throughout the magazine, not just in one little section,’” says Watt.
Two US lawmakers have introduced the H-4 Employers Protection Act in the US House of Representatives, a legislature that protects work authorisation of H-4 visa workers benefitting a large number of women including Indian-Americans.Since the rule was implemented, over 100,000 workers, mainly women, have received employment authorisation. Lawmakers Anna G. Eshoo and Zoe Lofgren have also made the newly formed legislature prohibited from revoking by the Trump administration.The news comes days after The Economic Times reported that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issued a notice for the proposed rule-making that will kick in public consultations to ban the H4 EAD (Employment Authorisation Document). The DHS had written that the American citizens would benefit “by having a better chance at obtaining jobs that some of the population of the H-4 workers currently hold”.However, in March 2018, Eshoo and Lofgren led 13 Members of Congress, in writing to DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, urging her to reconsider DHS’s proposal to revoke eligibility for employment authorisation to H-4 dependent spouses.As the H-4 visas are issued to the spouses of H-1B visa holders, a significantly large number of women who are also high-skilled professionals from India were majorly affected by the US government’s immigration policies.The economic burdens of families of many H-1B workers, particularly those who live in high-cost areas like Silicon Valley on a single income as they await green card approvals created major anxiety among many Indian-Americans.The H-4 Employment Protection Act also prohibits the Trump administration from revoking the legislature as “H-4 visa holders deserve a chance to contribute to their local economies and provide for their families,” said Eshoo.According to an update in the United States Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs website on February 25, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) proposed to remove from its regulations certain H-4 spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants as a “class of aliens eligible for employment authorization”, labelling the move as “economically significant.””H-4 visa holders deserve a chance to contribute to their local economies and provide for their families,” Eshoo said.”This is a matter of economic fairness and this legislation ensures it will continue,” she addedH-4 visa holders had obtained work permits under a special order issued by the previous Obama administration in 2015. It allowed work permits to be given to spouses who otherwise could not be employed as the process for H-1B visa holders seeking permanent resident status would take a decade or longer for it to be officially sanctioned.Since the H-1B programme offers temporary US visas that allow companies to hire highly-skilled foreign professionals working in areas with shortages of qualified American workers, Indian-Americans were a major beneficiary of this provision.The United States Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs that falls under the Office of Management and Budget has oversight on all “Unified Agenda” policies to make sure they are cost effective. President Trump had provided the H-1B visa program back in 2017, a move that was perceived as a step towards his broader “America First” and “Buy American and Hire American” policies.Lofren stated that nobody benefits from this system, least of all the American economy when H-1B dependent spouses are prohibited from working. “Many of these are accomplished and qualified individuals whose skills we’ll lose to other countries unless the Administration finds a more sensible approach to immigration,” she said.(With inputs from news agencies)
Demonstrators march along a street during a protest in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on 14 July 2018. Photo: ReutersEmbattled Haiti prime minister Jack Guy Lafontant resigned on Saturday following deadly violence and looting sparked by a now-abandoned plan to raise fuel prices.”I submitted my resignation to the president of the republic,” who has “accepted my resignation,” Lafontant said in the lower house of Haiti’s legislature.Lafontant had faced a potential vote of no confidence had he not resigned — something he had previously insisted he would not do.Last week, the government in the impoverished Caribbean country announced plans for major fuel price hikes — 38 per cent for gasoline, 47 per cent for diesel and 51 per cent for kerosene.The announcement sparked mass protests, with streets in the capital Port-au-Prince and other cities blocked with barricades of debris and burning tires.Dozens of shops were looted and burned and cars were set ablaze. At least four people were killed. The government quickly did an about-face and called off the planned price increases.Lafontant, a physician who had little political experience before taking office in February 2017, had faced widespread criticism even before the spasm of violence.Several hundred protesters marched on Saturday in Port-au-Prince demanding the departure not just of Lafontant, but also of president Jovenel Moise.”It’s not just a question of changing the prime minister, because day by day, the people are still suffering from more misery, unemployment, insecurity, hunger,” said Fleurette Pierre, one of the demonstrators.Haiti is desperately poor: around 60 per cent of its people live on less than two dollars a day, and they are extremely sensitive to even minor increases in prices of just about anything.In February, Haiti signed an agreement with the International Monetary Fund, the Washington-based global crisis lender, in which the country committed to carrying out economic and structural reforms to promote growth.- ‘More gradual approach’ -One of those conditions was the elimination of petroleum product subsidies, prompting the doomed price hike proposal.The accord also called on the government to keep inflation under 10 per cent.Since 2015, inflation has been running at 13 to 14 per cent annually. The budget blueprint submitted to the legislature in late June still foresaw a rate of 13.6 per cent.On Thursday, the IMF suggested “a more gradual approach” to ending fuel subsidies, paired with “compensatory and mitigating measures to protect the most vulnerable people.””We will continue to support Haiti… as they develop a revised reform strategy,” IMF spokesman Gerry Rice said, noting that ending subsidies would free up funds for other programmes such as education.Crafting a revised strategy — and divvying up Haiti’s meagre budget resources — will be a delicate task.The decision to scrap the price hikes means the government will have to find another way to come up with the $300 million the move would have generated.It is not an insignificant amount — the total is more than 11 per cent of the 2018-2019 budget presented to parliament in June for debate.Now, Moise’s government has to find a way to appease all sides — angry and impatient consumers, politicians with varying interests and IMF economists.Haiti’s deep levels of inequality are often cited by protesters who want both Lafontant and Moise out of office.More than 200 years after gaining independence from France, Haiti is still ranked by the World Bank as having one of earth’s most unjust societies.
00:00 /01:15 X According to some polls, Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton, the two major party nominees for president are among the most unlikable candidates in modern times. The question is, what psychology drove us to this point?Elizabeth Simas is an Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Houston. She was a guest on Houston Matters Wednesday, and told me that as the sources for political discussion have increased, voters have become more polarized in their selection.Houston Public Media’s Coverage of Election 2016“All the choices that people have in media now, you can avoid the other side if you want. You can put yourself in an echo chamber. And when you are constantly being told that your side is right, it just reinforces that and it makes it more difficult for you to be open to compromise or hearing the other side,” says Simas.So are political parties and the media simply giving the people what they want? In some ways, yes Simas says. “Media has a profit motive and with the increased number of choices, they also have to compete for viewers, or listeners, or readers or whatever it is they’re after. They have to be responsive to where the audience is,” she says.As for the major political parties, Simas says, “The ideal of democracy is that candidates are responsive to constituents and to public opinion.”But she believes the elite control the majority of a political party’s platform. She also thinks this election is similar to one 24 years ago.“In 1992 people were dissatisfied with Bush and unhappy with that, and nobody was really thrilled with Clinton as a candidate, at least very early on in the election cycle. He was a dark horse, and what happened, you had the rise of Ross Perot.”Will Donald Trump’s campaign change future elections? Simas says that depends on how successful he is on November 8th. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Listen Share