Service groups vie for funds

first_imgTim Whittier, executive director of Southern California Rehabilitation Services in Downey, also approached the commission for funding. The program provides independent-living services for people with disabilities. Last year, it received $6,000 in block grant money. Whittier has requested the same amount for the coming fiscal year, he said. “Pico Rivera is a wonderful supporter of ours,” he said. Next month, city officials will finalize a list of grantees. The list will go to the City Council in April for final approval. CDBG money will be doled out to selected nonprofits in July, officials said. araceli.esparza@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3024160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Crossroads Project, a gang intervention and rehabilitation program, is one of the local nonprofits seeking CDBG funding. In October, the city provided a $10,000 grant to the program, but the project could use an additional $30,000 in federal funds, said Paul Carrillo, program director for The Crossroads Project. “I feel good about it,” he said after his presentation. “We’ve had nothing but support.” Groups applying for the funding must have projects or programs that benefit the city’s low- or moderate-income residents. Or they must be involved in eliminating blight in the community, said Jeff Brauckmann, head of the community development department. Being based in Pico Rivera in not a prerequisite for funding, he added. “We look at how they would service the \ community,” Lupo said. PICO RIVERA – A dozen local nonprofit groups and projects – including a veterans’ services group, a gang-intervention program, and drug and alcohol treatment programs – are vying for a share of nearly $1 million in federal funding the city will dole later this year. Representatives from several of the organizations made their pitches for the Community Development Block Grant funding Wednesday before the city’s Community Resources Advisory Commission. For fiscal year 2007-08, the city has $947,218 in CDBG grants to provide to nonprofit groups and agencies serving city residents. Officials are looking to spread the money around. But some applicants might not get funding. “Our goal is to assist all of these nonprofits,” said Community Development Department Coordinator Christina Lupo. “We will explore all our options before we present our final decisions on who is going to be funded.” last_img read more

No hitch this time as QPR youngster joins Portsmouth on loan

first_imgQPR youngster Frankie Sutherland has moved to Portsmouth on loan.Sutherland, 19, has joined the League One club for an initial month with a view to extending his stay.The midfielder’s proposed loan move to Fratton Park in November fell through because the deal was not completed by the deadline.Rangers were keen for Sutherland, Michael Harriman, Tom Hitchcock and Max Ehmer to go out on loan early this year in order to play first-team football.Harriman recently joined Wycombe and Hitchcock Bristol Rovers, while Ehmer has been touted among Championship and leading League One clubs as he has already had spells with Yeovil and Preston.Meanwhile, QPR are on the verge of a deal to sign Yann M’Vila from Rennes.See also:QPR youngster’s proposed loan move to Portsmouth collapsesQPR plan to send more players out on loanYTo4OntzOjk6IndpZGdldF9pZCI7czoyMDoid3lzaWphLW5sLTEzNTI0NjE4NjkiO3M6NToibGlzdHMiO2E6MTp7aTowO3M6MToiMyI7fXM6MTA6Imxpc3RzX25hbWUiO2E6MTp7aTozO3M6MjI6Ildlc3QgTG9uZG9uIFNwb3J0IGxpc3QiO31zOjEyOiJhdXRvcmVnaXN0ZXIiO3M6MTc6Im5vdF9hdXRvX3JlZ2lzdGVyIjtzOjEyOiJsYWJlbHN3aXRoaW4iO3M6MTM6ImxhYmVsc193aXRoaW4iO3M6Njoic3VibWl0IjtzOjMzOiJTdWJzY3JpYmUgdG8gb3VyIGRhaWx5IG5ld3NsZXR0ZXIiO3M6Nzoic3VjY2VzcyI7czoyODM6IlRoYW5rIHlvdSEgUGxlYXNlIGNoZWNrIHlvdXIgaW5ib3ggaW4gb3JkZXIgdG8gY29uZmlybSB5b3VyIHN1YnNjcmlwdGlvbi4gSWYgeW91IGRvbid0IHNlZSBhbiBlLW1haWwgZnJvbSB1cywgY2hlY2sgeW91ciBzcGFtIGZvbGRlci4gSWYgeW91IHN0aWxsIGhhdmVuJ3QgcmVjZWl2ZWQgYSBjb25maXJtYXRpb24gbWVzc2FnZSwgcGxlYXNlIGUtbWFpbCBmZWVkYmFja0B3ZXN0bG9uZG9uc3BvcnQuY29tIGFuZCB0ZWxsIHVzIHlvdSB3aXNoIHRvIHN1YnNjcmliZSB0byBvdXIgbmV3c2xldHRlci4iO3M6MTI6ImN1c3RvbWZpZWxkcyI7YToxOntzOjU6ImVtYWlsIjthOjE6e3M6NToibGFiZWwiO3M6NToiRW1haWwiO319fQ== Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Splash Brothers turn tide late in Warriors’ wild Game 5 win

first_imgThe first shot was Thompson navigating around a Draymond Green screen off a pass from Curry.Great … The Warriors’ backcourt duo has done it countless times before.But Monday night’s Steph Curry-Klay Thompson 9-0 run was the biggest of their careers.With 3:05 left in Game 5 of the NBA Finals, Raptors coach Nick Nurse took not one but two timeouts to set his team up for the stretch run, leading by six in a closeout game.Two minutes and five seconds later, Toronto trailed by three.last_img

The red roo turns back to black

first_imgQantas is on track to record the most dramatic turnaround in aviation history after the airline today, announced an underlying profit of $367 million, for the six months to December 31 – a stark contrast to the $2.84 billion loss for the financial year ending June 30 2014. In more good news, analysts predict that the best is yet to come, with a full year profit topping $1 billion as the full impact of lower fuel costs hit the bottom line.The result which vindicates the polices of Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce, has been driven by the Transformation Restructuring Program, an end to the domestic price and capacity war, and lower fuel prices.While the lower fuel prices means greater profit for Qantas, analysts say that their full year profit predictions assume half the gain will be passed onto passengers in lower fares.The stunning reversal of fortune is expected to lead to a return to dividends for shareholders and an order for up to 30 Boeing 787 Dream liners to re-equip and expand the international fleet. Suggested Read: Our review of Qantas’s new Domestic Business ClassQantas said that the main contributors to the profit were: The transformation program $374 million; $208 million reduce depreciation; $162 million increased revenue per ASK; $59 million from the removal of the carbon tax and $33 million lower fuel prices.Unit costs were down 4.8 per cent and revenue was up $2.1 per cent to $8.1 billion.The Group is now targeting $675 million of transformation benefits in financial year 2015, up from the previous target of $600 million. Combined with the $204 million in benefits realised in financial year 2014, this will result in total benefits of at least $875 million by 30 June 2015.All operating segments of the Qantas Group were profitable in the half, at an Underlying Earnings Before Interest and Tax level.All business units returned to the black including the international division.Leading the profit charge were: Domestic with underlying EBIT of $227 million; Qantas International $59 million; Jetstar $81 million; Frequent Flyer program $160 million and Qantas Freight $54 millionQantas CEO Alan Joyce said the result showed that the Group was executing the right plan with discipline and speed.“The decisive factor in our best half-year result for four years was our complete focus on the Qantas Transformation program,” Mr Joyce said.“It’s clear that without the impact of transformation, we would not be announcing a profit today.”“Our people have worked hard and made a huge contribution to bring about the change we need. They deserve great credit for this result.”“What sets this transformation apart is that we are reducing costs permanently while at the same time delivering Qantas’ best ever fleet, product and service.”“We are meeting or exceeding all our targets as we build a sustainable future for Qantas with an emphasis on growing long-term shareholder value.”“Our financial position is significantly stronger because of the actions we’ve taken, and we are giving Qantas a solid foundation for growth in earnings.”last_img read more

Competitiveness Forum launches

first_imgBRAND South Africa is playing a significant role in creating a competive country economy – identifying strengths that support trade, investments and partnerships across the continent. Read more [1.2Mb, PPTX file]last_img

PH archers miss shot at third medal

first_imgSEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments PH bets Paul Marton Dela Cruz and Amaya Cojuangco during the semifinals of Mixed Team Compound archery in the 2017 Southeast Asian Games. INQUIRER/ MARIANNE BERMUDEZKUALA LUMPUR — The Philippines narrowly missed a medal in archery mixed compound after back-to-back jolting match-play defeats Friday at Synthetic Turf Field inside KL Sports City.Paul Marton Dela Cruz and Amaya Paz-Cojuangco handily made it to the semifinals after a 156-150 win over Laos in the eliminations.ADVERTISEMENT Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Read Next LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Navarro heats up late, lifts San Sebastian past EACcenter_img PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games PLAY LIST 03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics00:50Trending Articles01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games Flags of SEA Games countries raised at Athletes Village LATEST STORIES WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Man sworn in as lawyer by judge who sentenced him to prison as a teen 20 years ago Paz-Cojuangco, who was four-time champion here, could not contain her emotions after that heart breaking losses and had to excuse herself at the back of the field.The Philippines still has golden chances in recurve which will begin on Aug. 21. That heightened expectations of another medal from the sport that already brought two bronzes the previous days but the Filipino archers fell short this time.“We didn’t make it. It’s not our day. They shot way better than us today,” said the 30-year-old Dela Cruz who bagged the individual bronze and shared another with men’s team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLeading in the opening end, Dela Cruz and Cojuangco witnessed a steely-nerved Myanmar pair finishing them off in the suspense-filled shoot out. They finished the six ends tied at 154.Stunned, the Philippines thus fell into bronze medal match-up facing Vietnam, which prevailed, 159-155. MOST READlast_img read more

10 months agoGattuso happy with AC Milan victory over SPAL

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Gattuso happy with AC Milan victory over SPALby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan coach Rino Gattuso was happy with victory over SPAL.Andrea Petagna had given SPAL the lead at San Siro, but Samu Castillejo and Higuain turned it around, plus a last-gasp Gianluigi Donnarumma save on Mohamed Fares for the 2-1 result.“I liked the team performance a great deal, both technically and tactically. I liked the mentality of the side, that knew how to suffer,” Gattuso told DAZN.“We could’ve killed it off earlier and must continue to improve. We’ve had to deal with all sorts of things this year. Now we go to Doha without Suso for the Italian Super Cup, one of our most important players, but I don’t want any alibis.“We had two big games in December that we didn’t make the most of, but we’ve just got to lick our wounds and keep going.” last_img read more

10 months agoBarcelona striker Munir agrees Sevilla move

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Barcelona striker Munir agrees Sevilla moveby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSevilla are closing on a deal for Barcelona striker Munir El Haddadi.Cadena Cope says Munir, off contract in June, has a deal with Sevilla.Barcelona have tried to get him to sign on twice but both offers were rejected by the forward. The pre-agreement with Sevilla is the offer Munir is said to have chosen. He had others. Real Betis wanted him and a Premier League side offered him a lot of money too, but he did not want to go to England.A departure from Barca this month is now likely. last_img

a month agoSouthampton lose Moussa Djenepo for Bournemouth clash

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton lose Moussa Djenepo for Bournemouth clashby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton will be without live-wire Moussa Djenepo for their clash with rivals Bournemouth.The Mali international has scored two stunning goals for Saints this season following his switch from Standard Liege.”Nathan could train this week with the team. This is a good message how far he is and if he really can play tomorrow I haven’t decided so far but it’s good he’s back because Moussa is out. He cannot play,” said Hasenhuttl.”After a few sessions this week he felt a little bit more his muscles so we don’t want to take this risk so we leave him out tomorrow.”I don’t know if I can grab Nathan for the position. I haven’t decided so far.” last_img read more

8 days ago​Man Utd blocked Mourinho from signing Boateng for bargain price

first_img​Man Utd blocked Mourinho from signing Boateng for bargain priceby Ansser Sadiq8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United did not allow then boss Jose Mourinho to sign Jerome Boateng from Bayern Munich.Mourinho was desperate for an experienced centre-half in what would end up being his final summer window at the club.Boateng was among the names discussed near the end of that transfer window, but United blocked any deal.The Athletic reveals that United looked at software that assessed Boateng’s game and showed a decline in performances, along with significant injury problems.It meant that a possible £13.1 million transfer was axed.The data showed that Boateng was not fit enough to perform at his best level for the full 90 minutes, as he was making fewer tackles and running significantly less in the latter parts of games. TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more