IPC Tops 3-Day Agenda

first_imgThe three worst Ebola affected countries, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, have ended a three-day inter-country meeting that discussed the current status of the Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) and the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in healthcare facilities in each country.They also brainstormed about solutions to eradicate infections of the Ebola virus from the three countries.The meeting, held July 20-23, brought together representative from the World Health Organization (WHO) and health practitioners from the three countries.They also shared strategic plans for the IPC and WASH improvement in the context of health systems recovery, for both the current early phase and the medium term.It was sponsored by the WHO and the Ministry of Health.In his welcome remarks, UNICEF and WHO Country’ Manager Alex Gasasira said he was overwhelmed with the delegates’ presence at the consultation, which was the first of its kind since the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus.He stated that the consultation would provide a platform for experiences and interactions on the infections in the three countries.“We are grateful to the team for the preparation of this program and we look forward for the rich, successful deliberation it provides as a platform for sharing of experiences and interactions on infections, prevention and control,” Gasasira said.He added: “We are all aware that the gaps in infection prevention and control contributed immensely to the devastating outbreak that affected the three countries and we applaud governments in the three countries that have contributed to close the gap in the reduction of transmissions.”Health Minister Dr. Bernice Dahn told the participants, “It is commonly said that from every outbreak there is an improvement and now is the prevention, infection control system. She indicated that the Ministry of Health is putting into place measures to improve its IPC.”“It was during the outbreak that we learned a lot and we have been putting in systems to improve infection, prevention and control for our patients and health care workers. We believe that it will serve as the foundation for quality improvement in our healthcare facilities.”Participants included Alpha Ahmadou Bah, (Ministry of Health of Guinea), Sierra Leone’s Nanah Sesay Kamara and Catherine Cooper (Liberia), among others.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Manchester City flop set for Juventus switch

first_img1 Former Manchester City defender Stefan Savic is wanted by Juventus, according to reports in Italy.The Montenegrin centre-back spent a season at City but failed to impress and was moved on to Fiorentina in the summer of 2012.He has gone on to impress for the Viola and Corrierre dello Sport claim Juventus are keen on making a move for the 23-year-old in January, having watched his progress closely since he moved to Serie A.Arsenal have previously been linked with Savic but it appears the Italian champions have stolen ahead in the battle for his signature. Stefan Savic last_img

Atheist soldier feared for life

first_imgSpc. Jeremy Hall and the Military Religious Freedom Foundation filed a lawsuit this past week against a Maj. Paul Welborne and Defense Secretary Robert Gates. The suit, in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Kan., alleges that Welborne threatened to file military charges against Hall and to block his re-enlistment for trying to hold a meeting of atheists and non-Christians in Iraq. Hall is in Iraq with the 97th Military Police Battalion out of Fort Riley. He has been in Iraq since 2006, on his second tour. The suit also alleges Gates permits a military culture in which officers are encouraged to pressure soldiers to adopt and espouse fundamentalist Christian beliefs. In a series of e-mails to Mikey Weinstein, the foundation’s founder and president, Hall said he feared for his safety after being “hallchecked” – being shoved against a wall in a hallway – by fellow soldiers who objected to his lawsuit. Bloggers have also referred to “fragging” Hall, or killing him by friendly fire. “I hope I am not the victim of a hate crime while I sleep tonight. I do not want to die for my country this way,” wrote Hall, saying a noncommissioned officer was threatening to beat him. “I’m doing my best right now. But I am still afraid that I might be harmed or worse.” The Army is investigating Hall’s allegations, said Lt. Col. James Hutton, a spokesman for multinational forces in Iraq, in a statement Saturday. However, Hutton added: “Several media reports list a person named Maj. Paul Welborne as having been involved in this situation. To date, we have not located any soldier by that name.” Weinstein said the incidents alleged in the lawsuit happened in July and August and Welborne may have left Iraq since then. Instead of finding the major, Weinstein said the military must find the soldiers who threatened Hall after he filed the lawsuit and prosecute them under military law. “We’re talking about stuff that happened 36 hours ago. If they can’t find the people who have been harassing Jeremy, we will,” said Weinstein, who released Hall’s e-mails to The Associated Press on Friday. “This isn’t that hard to do.” In naming Gates as a defendant, the lawsuit alleges he permits a culture that sanctions activities by Christian organizations, including providing personnel and equipment. It also says the military permits proselytizing by soldiers, tolerates anti-Semitism and the placing of religious symbols on military equipment, and allows the use of military e-mail accounts to send religious rhetoric. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! HARASSMENT: “I hope I am not the victim of a hate crime,” a specialist who is suing wrote. By John Milburn THE ASSOCIATED PRESS TOPEKA, Kan. – Military officials are investigating an Army specialist’s allegations that he was harassed for being an atheist but said Saturday they have found no trace of the officer listed as a defendant in the soldier’s lawsuit. last_img read more

Chelsea v Tottenham League Cup final preview: Hawksbee v Jacobs!

first_imgThey may be the friendly faces of talkSPORT during weekdays between 1-4pm but, on Sunday, Paul Hawksbee and Andy Jacobs will be going head-to head in the League Cup final.Paul is a huge Tottenham fan, while Andy will be waving his Chelsea flag with glee at Wembley.The boys have discussed all areas of Sunday’s spectacle, including the teams, managers and even whether the King’s Road is better than Tottenham High Road.You can listen to Hawksbee and Jacobs’ League Cup final special above, and leave your comments belowlast_img

Official! The 13 coolest footballers in the world

first_img 10. Leighton Baines – Everton’s Ace Face is mates with Alex Turner and Miles Kane. While his England team-mates took Louis Vuitton man bags to the World Cup, Baines took his guitar. 5. Mats Hummels – The coolest player at the coolest club. 13 13 7. Dimitar Berbatov – Far too cool for Alex Ferguson. 2. Xabi Alonso – Listens to Pavement, watches The Big Lebowski, wins at everything, mostly life. No one really knows what cool is, but these footballers have got it.You won’t find a Coldplay album in their collection, or a pair of Crocs on their feet.Take a look at our slideshow of the 13 coolest footballers in the world right now.Disagree with our selection? Think we’ve left someone deserving out of the list?Get stuck in and leave a comment below… 9. Ezequiel Lavezzi – Got called to the touchline by his manager for tactical instructions at the World Cup, squirted him in the face for a laugh. 6. Francesco Totti – Selfies aren’t cool. Unless they’re taken by Totti. 13 11. Olivier Giroud – Look at that. Not a single strand of hair out of place. 13 13 13 13 13 3. Zlatan Ibrahimovic – Zlatan isn’t cool. Cool is Zlatan. 1. Andrea Pirlo – You know it. 8. David Luiz – The man don’t give a… 13 13 4. Mario Balotelli – The only man who can take the Mick out of Andrea Pirlo and get away with it. 13 13 13. Raul Meireles – click the arrow above, right, to see the 12 coolest footballers in the world and find out who is number one… – This is the former Liverpool and Chelsea man at Istanbul Fashion Week. He may look like a hard nut, but Raul’s more likely to wear Stella than drink it. 13 12. Gerard Pique – The man who has it all and has won it all, in style. last_img read more

MARA MEDIA ARE PROUD NEW SPONSORS OF NAOMH MUIRE U12 GIRLS FOOTBALLERS

first_imgLOCAL companies are the lifeblood of local communities and sports clubs and another local business has stepped in to help.MARA MEDIA, based in Anagaire, are the proud sponsors of Naomh Muire Ladies U12 team.Managing Director of the company is Mullaghdubh man Hugh Bonner. His family are wife Mona, son Conall and daughter Kate. All are members of Naomh Muire mens/ladies clubs.Pictured is Donal Sharkey from Naomh Muire Ladies and Sharon Boyle doing the presentation.Mara Media is a good local business who sponsor quite a lot of community based ventures.Mara Media is a publishing and event management company based in Annagry. Founded in 2005, the company has grown to include events such as the Skipper Expo International Galway, Aberdeen & Bournemouth, Ireland Angling Expo and the Irish Cycling Show.Publishing titles include hugely popular The Skipper, Take Off & Go West magazines and various others. MARA MEDIA ARE PROUD NEW SPONSORS OF NAOMH MUIRE U12 GIRLS FOOTBALLERS was last modified: April 29th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Mara MediaNAOMH MUIREsponsorU12’slast_img read more

Why Jurgen Klopp owes Philippe Coutinho a huge thank you

first_imgLiverpool have former star Philippe Coutinho to thank for the club’s signing of goalkeeper Alisson.The Reds landed the shot-stopper in a then world-record £67million deal from Roma in the summer. Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update revealed Guardiola-inspired tactics: Is this how Arsenal will line up under Arteta? Jurgen Klopp owes Philippe Coutinho a big thank you silverware latest gameday cracker England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Jurgen Klopp swooped after losing faith in error-prone goalkeepers Simon Mignolet and Loris Karius and his job was made easier by the words of ex-Kop star Coutinho, now starring at Barcelona.The pair were at the World Cup together in the summer and Alisson himself has revealed the Barcelona star’s compliments about the club, the city, the fans, and Jurgen Klopp helped him decided on the transfer. How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT predicted SORRY REVEALED whoops “I spoke to [Philippe] Coutinho before the World Cup as I knew there was interest,” he told the Daily Mail.“We talked about the regular things – the way the club is set up, the structure and the staff. But we also talked about the belief, the sort of family atmosphere at the club.“It’s not just a football club, we are one big family. He spoke highly of Jurgen [Klopp] and he spoke about the players. changes “He said there is no vanity in the squad but it’s a very ambitious squad with a strong desire to win. I saw that on the pitch last season in the Champions League semi-final.“Our wives spoke to each other and they said they had a great time living here and we very happy. What Coutinho told me added to what I had already witnessed playing here at Anfield and it all came together and made sense.” Popular Premier League News Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion tense The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? 2 Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson celebrates the Reds scoring 2last_img read more

Get a free online personal stylist courtesy of Thread.com

first_imgHate shopping but still want to look good on that night out? Feel completely clueless about clothes?The solution is Thread.com.Thread.com is an exclusive, invite-only service for men, which gives you a completely free personal shopper or professional stylist.Our stylists have written for GQ & Vogue, and worked with celebrities including Daniel Craig, Jude Law and Kanye West.We’ve teamed up with West London Sport to give one lucky reader the chance to get a free online personal stylist, valued at £150.To be in with a chance of winning, just answer this question:Who scored the only goal when QPR won at Chelsea last season?E-mail the correct answer to win@westlondonsport.comThe competition is open until 5pm on Friday 16 August.last_img

Telkom secures R902m loan

first_imgRay Maota The Telkom sign can be seen on one ofJohanesburg’s landmarks, theHillbrow tower.(Image: MediaClubSouthAfrica.com. Formore free photos, visit the image library) Telkom’s mobile network, 8ta, waslaunched in October 2010 making itthe fifth mobile network operatorin South Africa.(Image: Mybroadband.co.za)MEDIA CONTACTS• Pynee ChettySpokesperson for Telkom+27 12 311 5247RELATED ARTICLES• Telkom mobile to launch soon • MTN launches R8.1bn shares scheme • Telkom teams up with AT&T• Cheaper phone rates for SA South African telecommunications provider Telkom has secured a seven-year loan worth R902-million (US$127-million) from a group of international banks.Part of the loan will go towards buying goods from Chinese telecoms equipment manufacturer Huawei, while the remainder will be used for capital expenditure for the company’s recently launched mobile network 8ta.The fifth mobile network in South Africa, 8ta was launched in October 2010. It’s pronounced “heita”, and is township slang for “how are you?”Telkom plans to spend R6-billion ($848-million) in total building up the network by 2014.Banks involved in the recent loan agreement include Barclays Capital, Absa Capital, China Development Bank, Bank of China, China Construction Bank, Citibank, HSBC and the Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation.The deal is backed by China Export and Credit Insurance Corporation, also known as Sinosure, a Chinese state-owned credit export agency.Gabriel Buck, head of Export Credit Agency (ECA) financing at Barclays Capital, said: “We are pleased to deliver to Telkom a long-term, competitive Sinosure facility. This represents the first financing for Telkom under their ECA umbrella framework, and will provide a benchmark for any future Sinosure financings.”An export credit agency or investment insurance agency acts as the mediator between national governments and exporters, while supplying finance for exports.“Given the existing liquidity constraints within the bank and bond markets, this facility provides Telkom with an attractive and flexible source of additional cost-effective liquidity,” said Anthony Wilter of Absa Capital’s investment banking division.New mobile numberAt the time of 8ta’s launch, managing executive of Telkom Mobile, Amith Maharaj, said: “We will provide the platform for South Africans to communicate more. I’m not exaggerating when I say that this is the start of a new era in mobile phone communication in South Africa and consumers will at last have a real choice.”Telkom SA MD, Pinky Moholi, added: “We wanted to create a brand that builds upon Telkom’s heritage around quality and innovation. At the same time, we realised the need to be simple and to be authentically South African.”Telkom signed a national roaming agreement with its prospective competitor MTN, enabling it to use MTN’s infrastructure to launch its services.Telecoms giantTelkom is one of the leading telecommunication service providers in South Africa and in Africa. Traditionally a fixed-line operator, it first ventured into mobile network territory with the launch of 8ta.The company was founded in 1991 and listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in 2003, 12 years after it got off the ground.In 2006 Telkom’s domination was broken when Neotel became the second fixed-line operator in South Africa. As a mobile network operator, Telkom faces stiff competition from Vodacom, Cell-C, Virgin Mobile and MTN.Telecoms equipment providerHuawei is a leading telecommunication solutions provider and was established in 1988. It provides network infrastructure, software, services and devices.In 2008 it was recognised by Business Week as one of the world’s most influential companies and in 2009 it gained the second largest global market share of radio access equipment.Huawei has worked with some of the world’s leading computer giants, including Intel, Microsoft, IBM and Hewlett-Packard.last_img read more

Competitiveness Forum launches

first_imgBRAND South Africa is playing a significant role in creating a competive country economy – identifying strengths that support trade, investments and partnerships across the continent. Read more [1.2Mb, PPTX file]last_img